Goshavank Monastery: The Origin of the Name
The Monastery Complex was named after Mkhitar Gosh, who was a politic, author of numerous parables and fables, took part in the construction of the monastery complex, which was built on the site of the ancient church Getik, that was destroyed by an earthquake. Mkhitar Gosh founded a university and seminary at the monastery. The students of this university were prominent monks, teachers, writers, philosophers, historians, among them-Kirakos Gandzaketsi, the author of “Armenian History”.
Goshavank Monastery includes St. Astvatsatsin (1196) and St. Gregory or Surb Grigor (1241) churches. On the territory of the monastery you can also find church vestibule (1203), book depository with a bell tower (1291). Later in XIII- XIV century here was founded a school building, gallery and a chapel. A large area of about 200 square meters, borders with the school library building, where various books and manuscripts were written and copied.
Goshavank Monastery: Khachkars
Khachkars (cross-stones), which are presented in all the churches and monastic complexes in Armenia, were one of the important elements of architectural ensembles in XII- XIV century. In this era cross-stones were decorated with rich openwork ornamentation, often with reliefs and offshoots. Goshavank Monastery khachkars joined the art collection of Armenian architecture. At the entrance there is a remarkable Aseghnagorts (embroidered) cross-stone, manufactured by master Poghos in 1291